Biting nails is one of the most common habits to have in childhood but it has become quite usual to see a grown-up person bite his nails, too. One of the reasons could be that it is one of the easiest ways to deal with stress. However, although it is the easiest one, it can be the most dangerous one.
Professional health care specialists describe nail-biting as a repetitive body-focused behavior. They have also agreed that biting nails can cause not only physical damage to your health but also affect you emotionally. Thus, below we list the main reasons why biting nails is dangerous to your health and your overall well-being.
- If you bite your nails constantly, you probably have noticed that your nails as well as your cuticles become red. It can even hurt if you bite your nails very shortly. You can damage the skin surrounding your cuticles and it will be much easier to get infected.
- Nail-biting can cause bleeding. Once you start biting your nails, it is quite difficult to stop doing it. Thus, it can come to a point when after a long period of biting them, the skin surrounding your cuticles starts bleeding and you can get blood infection resulting from it.
- You are more likely to get infections caused by bacteria and viruses. And this is mainly because under your fingernails, there are millions of bacteria. When you put your fingers close to your mouth, or in this case – in your mouth, you are more likely to be affected by them as they travel to your digestion system and infect your organs.
- Nail-biting damages your teeth. Human teeth are not designed to eat nails. Because of constant nail-biting, they can grow out of shape and out of a regular teeth line. In addition, this habit causes teeth enamel to weaken.
- You give an impression to other people that you don’t take care of yourself. It is quite easy to notice who bites their nails and who doesn’t. For sure, if you are going to a job interview with your nails bitten, you are not likely to score well in appearance points. Moreover, biting nails in public or even in front of your friends doesn’t make you look as the most attractive person in the world.
Thus, if you have been having a hard time getting rid of this dangerous habit, you should consider all the harm it does to your health.