Although a lot of people think that sleep deprivation is not a serious illness, it can cause a lot of major problems when it comes to your overall well-being. In fact, nowadays, one out of three people wake up feeling tired because they couldn’t fall asleep during the night or had less time than normal to sleep.
Adults need to sleep at least 7-8 hours per night in order to feel productive the next day. When you sleep less than 7 hours, your body reacts to it, as well. Thus, below we mention the main symptoms which show that you constantly lack sleep.
- You are getting ill more often. Researches have shown that in order to have a normal immunity system, people need to sleep at least 7 hours per night. When you sleep less than that, your immune system becomes weaker and it is harder for it to fight against illnesses.
- You are gaining a lot of weight. Studies have proven that there is a direct relationship between sleep and weight. If you don’t sleep enough, you are more likely to gain unnecessary kilograms and it is also possible to become obese.
- You can’t concentrate and think clearly. When you lack sleep, you are more likely to have worse problem-solving skills as well as decision-making abilities. In addition, when you are given difficult tasks, you will panic as it will be hard for you to focus on your work.
- You feel constant pain in the area of your heart. Studies have also shown that the lack of sleep can cause a lot of heart illnesses. It can go to as far as causing a stroke. In addition, sleep deprivation causes abnormal blood pressure and faster heart rate.
- You are getting more and more wrinkles. In addition, you may notice that your skin is losing its elasticity. It may be because you don’t sleep enough as sleep and aging have a direct connection. If you sleep less than needed, your skin is going to suffer, as well. Thus, you may notice more wrinkles on your face, especially around your eyes.
- You tend to forget more and more things. When we sleep 8 hours, we make it easier for our brains to recall things which happened the day before. On the other hand, if you constantly feel tired when you wake up in the morning, your brain can’t function that well and begins to forget things which you would normally remember if you only had a good night’s rest.
Thus, if these signs sound familiar to you, you should go to sleep earlier tonight instead of watching Netflix until very late.